WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!

After being assured by a maintainer that the problems in upgrading were fixed in -7, I upgraded, without a hitch ... except now everything segfaults, even after reboot. I had also upgraded x-windows stuff dependent on that which made things even worse.

Actually, the reboot proceeds perfectly. Only when I log on and have a shell (i.e. bash, sh) does everything crash out. So the bug might be there and not in the libc6-7!

Anyway, a long haul to get a working system again. After copying /lib stuff from the live-cd so I had a shell, I downgraded to testing, libc6-4 and more than enough of the x stuff. Finally got back in and KDE was a mess.

To reinstall that, I needed to "upgrade" all the now-broken packages. This time, I was smarter. I copied the working /lib, upgraded, segfaulted, went into the live CD, copied the working /lib back and rebooted and reinstalled a bunch of kde and plasma-desktop stuff (apt thought it was up-to-date haha). Voile.

Since this is now a mixed-up system (until Sid's maintainers get stuff together, completely, responsibly (posting defective /lib upgrades is inexcusable because of the mess made for us Debian Sid users!), there may still be problems, i.e. another package or two to downgrade.

Problem 1: Trying a normal synaptic upgrade of some programs, I got errors that UTF8 could not be converted to latin1... and it aborted. Apt-get does work (in a non-X terminal) because I did that with the KDE stuff. So what package needs be up/down-graded to fix the character conversions?

Hint: reportbug-ng yields messages like:

QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv failed for BOM: Bad file descriptor

QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed

QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed