Re: Features Missing in Debian's Package Management System

On Mi, 15 iun 11, 19:32:13, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Additional to this, my suggestion:
> 2. An option, to see, which files will be installed BEFORE the first
> installation or at renewing (although, I think, apt-file might be able
> to handle this somehow, not sure)

Why would I care about *every single file* installed by the package
manager? That's why there is a package manager, to handle this ;)

> 3. And last but not least: An option, to blacklisting broken packages! (very
> important)

apt-listbugs and aptitude's forbid-version (as already mentioned)

> For Point 3., some thoughts: In the past there were sometimes broken packages
> in debian/testing, which were running fine in stable, were fixed in sid, but
> never fixed in testing, until they went from sid to testing. (At the moment
> there is a problem with the kernel "unable to enumerate usb device", which is
> fixed in 2.6.39.1 , but all kernels between 2.6.32-5-amd64 (version
> 34) and the mentioned kernel version above are broken.

What do you mean by broken, they work fine here.

> How are those problems handled? If they are handled at all!

Handled by whom? Users?

> Please don't feel bothered, but that is a problem, which I discovered from
> time to time. I thought about that, but found no solution yet (except by
> transferring working packages fron sid to testing as fast as possible).

You might want to test rolling (a.k.a bob) ;)

Regards,
Andrei