Re: Features Missing in Debian's Package Management System

Additional to this, my suggestion:

1. An option, to read the changelog BEFORE a package is installed or upgraded.

2. An option, to see, which files will be installed BEFORE the first
installation or at renewing (although, I think, apt-file might be able to
handle this somehow, not sure)

3. And last but not least: An option, to blacklisting broken packages! (very
important)

For Point 3., some thoughts: In the past there were sometimes broken packages
in debian/testing, which were running fine in stable, were fixed in sid, but
never fixed in testing, until they went from sid to testing. (At the moment
there is a problem with the kernel "unable to enumerate usb device", which is
fixed in 2.6.39.1 , but all kernels between 2.6.32-5-amd64 (version 34) and the
mentioned kernel version above are broken. How are those problems handled? If
they are handled at all!

Please don't feel bothered, but that is a problem, which I discovered from
time to time. I thought about that, but found no solution yet (except by
transferring working packages fron sid to testing as fast as possible).

Thanks for your patience!

Hans