Re: WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!, more

On Wednesday 13 Sivan 5771 17:55:56 you wrote:

> Since this is now a mixed-up system (until Sid's maintainers get stuff

> together, completely, responsibly (posting defective /lib upgrades is

> inexcusable because of the mess made for us Debian Sid users!), there may

> still be problems, i.e. another package or two to downgrade.

> Problem 1: Trying a normal synaptic upgrade of some programs, I got errors

> that UTF8 could not be converted to latin1... and it aborted. Apt-get does

> work (in a non-X terminal) because I did that with the KDE stuff. So what

> package needs be up/down-graded to fix the character conversions?

> Hint: reportbug-ng yields messages like:

> QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv failed

> for BOM: Bad file descriptor QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using

> Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode:

> using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed

So I do not know. Not having synaptic working is not nice but I guess there are alternative including (yipes!) CLI.

Also, no man pages will display!

These errors are confusing, however. The iconv stuff comes from libc6. The gconv conversion .so's are from testing to sid are ... identical. All of them.

So what am I missing here?