Re: Cannot connect to localhost:631

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:25:01 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 15/06/11 13:03, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:38:54 +0100, AG wrote:
>>
>>> On Wheezy, I have lost the capability of connecting to the CUPS server
>>> via the web-page using localhost:631.  The error message is "cannot
>>> connect: connection to the server refused".
>> (...)
>>
>> "http://127.0.0.1:631"; neither works?
>>
>> Check if the port is listening:
>>
>> netstat -ant | grep 631
>>

> No feedback from the command line.

Nothing? You should see something like:

sm01@stt008:~$ netstat -ant | grep 631
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631           0.0.0.0:*    LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 ::1:631                 :::*         LISTEN

> How do I open the port and how would I secure it?

Cups daemon (the start up script) should care about opening the socket at
booting, unless it has been manually disabled.

> Does it make any difference this being a USB printer?

I think that's irrelevant, at least for the port binding. Even with no
printers at all Cups should open the port, but dunno why is failing to
do it so in your case, maybe a bug? :-?

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/c/cups/cups_1.4.6-9/changelog

Buff... I've found this stanza about "port numbers", but won't put my hand
on the fire this is what is causing you the grief :-P

   * debian/patches/cups-avahi.dpatch: In contrary to the libdns_sd API the
     Avahi API requires port numbers in host order and not in network order.
     This made the Avahi-based DNS-SD broadcasting of CUPS advertizing wronmg
     port numbers. Updated the Avahi patch to fix it. Thanks to Tim Waugh
     from Red Hat on confirming this (LP: #792309).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón