Re: WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!

On 06/15/2011 10:55 AM, David Baron wrote:
After being assured by a maintainer that the problems in upgrading were fixed
in -7, I upgraded, without a hitch ... except now everything segfaults, even
after reboot. I had also upgraded x-windows stuff dependent on that which made
things even worse.

Actually, the reboot proceeds perfectly. Only when I log on and have a shell
(i.e. bash, sh) does everything crash out. So the bug might be there and not
in the libc6-7!

Anyway, a long haul to get a working system again. After copying /lib stuff
from the live-cd so I had a shell, I downgraded to testing, libc6-4 and more
than enough of the x stuff. Finally got back in and KDE was a mess.

To reinstall that, I needed to "upgrade" all the now-broken packages. This
time, I was smarter. I copied the working /lib, upgraded, segfaulted, went
into the live CD, copied the working /lib back and rebooted and reinstalled a
bunch of kde and plasma-desktop stuff (apt thought it was up-to-date haha).
Voile.

Since this is now a mixed-up system (until Sid's maintainers get stuff
together, completely, responsibly (posting defective /lib upgrades is
inexcusable because of the mess made for us Debian Sid users!), there may
still be problems, i.e. another package or two to downgrade.

Problem 1: Trying a normal synaptic upgrade of some programs, I got errors
that UTF8 could not be converted to latin1... and it aborted. Apt-get does
work (in a non-X terminal) because I did that with the KDE stuff. So what
package needs be up/down-graded to fix the character conversions?

Hint: reportbug-ng yields messages like:
QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv failed
for BOM: Bad file descriptor
QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open
failed
QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed

Strange that I am not seeing the same problems as you are but have some of my own. I think that most my problems are udevd related:

1. k3b can't find the cd/dvd device
2. the usblp module can't find the printer
3. root login on ttys0 logs in then jumps to another tty and login there then jumps to yet another tty and only stops jumping when a
user logs in.

That was from the 2011-06-11 upgrade

But hey we are running unstable so this is to be expected. Don't sweat te small stuff. It will be fixed within days so run wheezy for a while.

Sent from my wheezy partition.

WT