Re: psi instead of Skype

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:33:41 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 13 Jun 2011 at 14:24:54 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> For those -friends, family, skype-friendly, etc...-  I just simply use
>> the low land-line/mobile rates my SIP provider has and place them a
>> standard call.
>
> There some good deals in the SIP --> PSTN world but, depending on your
> country of residence and the regulatory telecom regime, PSTN --> PSTN
> can be very competitive with it.

Here (Spain) rates for mobile phone calls are still very expensive.
There are some bonuses for free calling when you sign-up for some offers
but I find that options very limited and restrictive (calls must have
place between X and Y hour of the day, cannot last more that Z minutes,
they don't apply when you call to the competing carrier...). A complete
and inconvenient mess.

Spanish telecommunications market is (still!) a "game" that takes place
between 3 main carriers in mobile telephony (Telefonica, Vodafone and
Orange) but Telefonica is the "king of the hill" when it comes to land
line.

>> I never liked Sykpe, it's all the opposite I think a good SIP software
>> should be: open and standards compliant.
>
> One area in which Skype (the network, not the software) scores is that
> any Skype (the network) user can connect to any other Skype user. It is
> not unlikely for sip: user@sipnetwork.com to fail because sipnetwork.com
> does not allow this rather basic usage of the SIP protocol.

I think we are still in an early stage of the SIP/VoIP telephony. I'd say
most of the Skype success has been to be the first company to offer what
users wanted at a very low rates (or free for their internal traffic)
when nobody else provided such services. And beeing the first -while not
being the best- has its reward: a legion of users that are now stuck with
them because their buddies are also using it.

This has to change when ENUM numbers become a reality and all the SIP
traffic is transparently routed regardless of the network.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón