Re: broadcom

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 08:47:51PM +0200, steef wrote:
> Volkan YAZICI schreef:
> >IMHO, you have two options:
> >
> >1. Solve the issue by fixing the drivers supplied by the distribution.
> >    (As others have explained in the previous replies.)
> >
> >2. Use new brcm80211[1] drivers. For this purpose, I'd make a custom
> >    kernel package (see make-kpkg) using the latest stable kernel
> >    sources, which bundle brcm80211 by default.
> >

> >Best.
> >
> >[1] http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211
> >
> >On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:32:00 +0200, steef writes:
> >>bought my self a hp mini-netbook, included windoze7 and a very strong accu, 10
> >>hours of life.
> >>
> >>i put sid on an usb-stick, included fluxbox and wicd(-curses).
> >>
> >>wifi = (lspci) brcm4313. (type 5.60.350.6)
> >>
> >>loaded/installed the according the debian broadcom-  (broadcom 43xx wireless
> >>drivers)  -wiki convenient driver_firmware. the driver should be included in the
> >>sid_kernel, so i understood. however: this wifi_driver does not work.
> >>
> >>my questions: what did i do wrong if anything (1) ?
> >>
> >>and
> >>
> >>broadcom assued a so-called xxx-STA driver (by google) somebody with some
> >>experience with this brcm4313 driver for linux (tar.gz) does this one work for
> >>my mini_netbook (2) ?
> >>
> >>if i find a working driver i can get rid of w7.
> >
> ....... hi: a good advice. i got everything working by now, but,
> nevertheless just for fun i built my own kernel with the wl.ko
> driver included in the net_modules. works excellent and was after a
> couple of years an excellent rehearsel/training.

Glad for that.

[This whole thread, for reasons unbeknownst to me, just assembled correctly
coherently in mutt for the first time.]

So, if you find a way to get Wireless and LAN working together with the
xxx-STA driver running, I'd be happy to hear of it. Other than, of course,
changing the broadcom module blacklist and rebooting.

Happy mini-neting!

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody