Re: Looking for newbie friendly Howto Debian 6 + spamassassin 3.3.1

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:10:57 -0400, vr wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:50:08 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> SpamAssassin configuration varies a lot depending on the partner
>> application in will run with (meaning the smtp server, antimalware and
>> any kind of proxy in between, like Amavisd-new).
>>
>> In addition to this, you also need to deploy a strategy for SA, that
>> is,
>> will it be run as a system-wide catch-up spam filter or based on a per-
>> site/per-user basis?
>>

>  I have Postfix on a machine that acts as a gateway and am thinking to
>  add Spamassassin to identify spam globally.  I say "thinking" because
>  I'm not 100% sure I can add just SA? Lots of articles talk about amavis
>  but I'm not sure why that layer seems required. I don't plan to add
>  other features at this point.

For simple setups, you can avoid amavisd-new and use instead spamd, but
the latter has its drawbacks.

Amavisd-new is used as the "glue" when you run postfix+SA (or any other
anti-spam service)+clamAV (or any other antivirus service). For something
a bit more serious I would recommend running amavisd-new -it allows to
escalate to a more complex layout very easily- but you can also run spamd
+clamav plugin (and so no amavisd-new).

Anyway, I have both setups on production system (one running amavisd-new
and other with spamd), and they're both very easy to configure.

Whatever you decide, I would start from here:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInMta

Greetings,

--
Camaleón