Re: Looking for newbie friendly Howto Debian 6 + spamassassin 3.3.1

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:50:08 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote:

SpamAssassin configuration varies a lot depending on the partner
application in will run with (meaning the smtp server, antimalware and
any kind of proxy in between, like Amavisd-new).

In addition to this, you also need to deploy a strategy for SA, that is, will it be run as a system-wide catch-up spam filter or based on a per-
site/per-user basis?

I have Postfix on a machine that acts as a gateway and am thinking to add Spamassassin to identify spam globally. I say "thinking" because I'm not 100% sure I can add just SA? Lots of articles talk about amavis but I'm not sure why that layer seems required. I don't plan to add other features at this point.