Re: psi instead of Skype

Excerpts from Andreas Weber's message of 2011-06-13 12:43:30 +0200:
> On 2011-06-13 11:19, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > Afaik the audio codec skype uses is open now, but I too doubt that this
> > goes for the whole protocol. I doubt the situation will get better with
> > skype in the hands of ms.
>
> Ok, I didn't express myself clear enough, sorry for that.
>
> Forget Skype. I would like to know if any of you has successfully used
> psi only for talking. Jabber only.
>
> I've been using psi for years to do cross-chat with icq, msn etc., works
> fine. Talking works to under certain conditions, but it seems that some
> cross NAT barriers await me on the run. Here I would appreciate your
> insights.
>
> ändu

I did experiment with it once, not sure I used psi though, might have
been empathy or another client. I did have problems with the university
firewall I'm behind, we had to use some google thing to get it to work
at all. Google talk or whatever it's called is XMPP + Jingle (the voice
extension), although I think googles voice extension is different from
the standard one. Anyways, if you have trouble with NAT, look for that
google NAT traversal thing.

Philipp