Re: Debian Questions on apt-get

On 20110611_074343, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 11 June 2011 00:41:10 Rob Owens wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 08:21:41AM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > > packages. I'm actually looking for a simple comand line entry for apt
> > > to list all the available packages for a system, rather than directly
> > > parsing /var/lib/dpkg/available, but this is not it.
> >
> > Does this do what you want?
> >
> > aptitude search '!~i'
>
> This gave me a list of packages that I do not have installed.  Surely "!"
> equals "not"?
>
> aptitude search '~i' , on the other hand, gave me a long list of things that I
> have got installed.
>
> Lisi

"Available" can mean available from a Debian managed repository, which
probably includes all the installed packages on your machine and all
that you have not installed as well. To get the complete list use '~T'

OT: while checking my memory on this, I noticed a plaintive question
from 2007 about the "Aptitude Reference Manual" which seemed to be
mentioned in Debian documentation but seemed not to exist. My quick
search indicates that this situation still exists in 2011. The
aptitude man page references 'Aptitude Reference Manual' but I get no
hits for that string while searching www.debian.org, or googling the
general web (other than questions about where to find it, over the years).

I did find
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_the_aptitude_regex_formula
which contains a long list of aptitude regex formulae.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net