Re: Debian Questions on apt-get

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:03:36AM -0500, Matt wrote:
>> I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert.
>> Giving Debian a whirl now.
>>
> [cut]
>>
>> yum update
>
> This becomes "apt-get update" in debian.

No. It's not. This is an endless source of confusion for folks coming
over from RHEL land. "apt-get update" just resyncs your local
repository information, it attempts to install nothing.

The equivalent apt command is "apt-get upgrade". The equivalent yum
command to "apt-get update" is "yum clean metadata; yum list", to
update the available package list.

>> or:
>>
>> yum install package_name
>
> apt-get install package_name
>

>> To find a package I also frequently do something like this:
>>
>> yum list available |grep abr_package_name
>
> This is either "apt-cache search abr_package_name" to look for
> prospective packages or "dpkg -l abr_package_name" to show the state of
> packages on your system.

No. It's not.  Please do not confuse newbies. 'dpkg -l' merely shows
installed packages, 'yum list' shows installed and *available*
packages. I'm actually looking for a simple comand line entry for apt
to list all the available packages for a system, rather than directly
parsing /var/lib/dpkg/available, but this is not it.

Your other notes are helpful, but please try not to confuse a nice new
person with mismatched comparisons of existing commands that *don't*
have the same features between operating systems. I just went through
this with a recent switch from RHEL based systems to Debian, so it's
very fresh in my mind.