Re: [Debian 6] - unexpected issue with iso images

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011, William Hopkins wrote:

Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 22:01:15 -0400
From: William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: [Debian 6] - unexpected issue with iso images

On 06/07/11 at 09:27am, Bret Busby wrote:
Hello.

First thing - I think that it would be a good idea for each version
to have its own mailing list, with message prepending (in a form
such as the one above), so that users can easily identify messages
that apply to each user's particular appropriate version(s).

This is a user list, and I think it is best to have as many users as possible for broad support (:
Where would you go for 5-6 migration efforts, the 5 list or the 6 list? You would cc: both, no doubt.

Possibly, yes, but anyone using Debian 5 could avoid reading messages that relate to a particular package in Debian 6, that might not be applicable to Debian 5, and Debian 4 users likewise. I still have one system running Debian 4, I think, and it would probably be too much trouble to upgrade, so has been left until the computer dies (which may be another decade or so - that computer, apart from a minor issue, appears to be quite robust).

So, I have now downloaded copies of the 32 bit and 64 bit CD iso
images (for the first disk of each, only).

Why are you downloading both? Choose whichever is appropriate for you, and download that. I would posit that it's probably 32bit unless you have a specific need for the 64bit distribution (even if your CPU supports 64 bit).

32 bit for 32 bit CPU's with 2GB RAM, and 64 bit for 64 bit CPU's with up to 8GB RA. I have both.

But, the concept here, is that, from my reasoning (and I stand to be
corrected in this, if I am wrong), a 32 bit operating system (or,
the Debian 5 32 bit "ix86" operating system, which is what I was
using to download the iso images), appears to have a maximum file
size of 4.0GB.

The file size limit is set by your filesystem. Which OS you're downloading has no bearing on it, but it does sound like you're hitting a limit. What OS are you currently *using*? I wasn't able to determine from your email. FAT32 has 4GB limits. Ext3 does not, regardless of architecture. I have a 32bit kernel and ext3 and I have many files >5GB

The OS that I am currently using, is stated in the paragrapgh that you cited above.

The filesystem - "Ah, there's the rub"...

It hadn't occurred to me; I am using a USB external HDD to which I was downloading the images - a Windows compatible storage device; hence.... FAT32 (I assume) ...

Now, if I had shifted some stuff from my computer HDD, and so freed up some GB's of space, and downloaded it to there, I would have avoided the issue.

But, if I am correct, perhaps, a warning to that effect, could be
put on the web page at http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/, to avoid
wastage of bandwidth (I have probably, now, downloaded about
20-30GB, to end up with two CD images, and, unusable partial DVD iso
images).

A warning about filesizes could probably be put there, but I am not the one to do it. Send that request to the debian-www list.

Now as for your issue. As stated on the first 'Getting Debian' page:

"If you simply want to install Debian and have an Internet connection on the target computer please consider the Network Install media which is a smaller download."

As said in my original posting, the optical drive in a new(ish) computer was not recognised by the netinst image previously tried, so I reasoned that the DVD iso image should contain drivers for the computer hardware, so as to enable installation, which the netinst image would not allow.

Or download the CD image, instead of the DVD image. It sounds like whatever you've got doesn't support >4GB files.

Done that.

As I said previously, I have downloaded the two CD1 images. That is included ion the text that you included above.

--
Liam

Thank you for the information about the FAT32 file size limit.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."