Re: laptop restart eth0 automatically on plugin or on awake like a desktop

On 06/07/11 at 12:10am, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following is a problem I have on all laptops, I dont know how to
> configure to connect when the ethernet cable is attached.
>
> I have an ibook laptop (it is a powerpc system running squeeze) and when i
> plug in the ethernet cord I find that I have to log into a terminal or
> console and become superuser and run
>
> ifdown eth0;
> ifup eth0
>
> to get connectivity to my local lan.
>
> I have a stanza in the /etc/network/interfaces that configures the eth0.
>
> Now I have many desktop machines and there whenever I plug in an ethernet
> card it automatically starts  and configures eth0 without any manual
> intervention. "Magically" my kernel puts a message to my console for instance
>
> skge eth0: Link is down
> or a message
> skge eth0: Link is up at 100Mbps. full duplex, flow control both

Are you not seeing these messages on laptops? This is the ethernet driver
reporting link status. Your ethernet is NOT configured automatically by this
(although some service may detect it and configure accordingly).

> Now the Laptop seems to be having assigning  control of this to  pm-utils on the laptop.

Hmm? pm-utils is for hibernating/suspending, not ethernet control.

> How to configure it to  automatically connect via eth0 if i plug it in, or if
> it is connected and the machine is reawoken from  hibernation?

You may need to blacklist your ethernet driver for pm-utils if it isn't coming
up properly after hibernate/suspend. Try adding
SUSPEND_MODULES="your_module_name" to a file in /etc/pm/config.d/

--
Liam