Re: [Debian 6] - unexpected issue with iso images

On 06/07/11 at 09:27am, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> First thing - I think that it would be a good idea for each version
> to have its own mailing list, with message prepending (in a form
> such as the one above), so that users can easily identify messages
> that apply to each user's particular appropriate version(s).

This is a user list, and I think it is best to have as many users as possible for broad support (:
Where would you go for 5-6 migration efforts, the 5 list or the 6 list? You would cc: both, no doubt.

> So, I have now downloaded copies of the 32 bit and 64 bit CD iso
> images (for the first disk of each, only).

Why are you downloading both? Choose whichever is appropriate for you, and download that. I would posit that it's probably 32bit unless you have a specific need for the 64bit distribution (even if your CPU supports 64 bit).

> But, the concept here, is that, from my reasoning (and I stand to be
> corrected in this, if I am wrong), a 32 bit operating system (or,
> the Debian 5 32 bit "ix86" operating system, which is what I was
> using to download the iso images), appears to have a maximum file
> size of 4.0GB.

The file size limit is set by your filesystem. Which OS you're downloading has no bearing on it, but it does sound like you're hitting a limit. What OS are you currently *using*? I wasn't able to determine from your email. FAT32 has 4GB limits. Ext3 does not, regardless of architecture. I have a 32bit kernel and ext3 and I have many files >5GB

> But, if I am correct, perhaps, a warning to that effect, could be
> put on the web page at http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/, to avoid
> wastage of bandwidth (I have probably, now, downloaded about
> 20-30GB, to end up with two CD images, and, unusable partial DVD iso
> images).

A warning about filesizes could probably be put there, but I am not the one to do it. Send that request to the debian-www list.

Now as for your issue. As stated on the first 'Getting Debian' page:

"If you simply want to install Debian and have an Internet connection on the target computer please consider the Network Install media which is a smaller download."

Or download the CD image, instead of the DVD image. It sounds like whatever you've got doesn't support >4GB files.

--
Liam