Re: Debian Questions on apt-get

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:03:36 -0500, Matt wrote:

> I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert. Giving
> Debian a whirl now.

(...)

> Now on Centos when I do 'yum update' after a fresh install I usually get
> offered a good number of patches etc.  When I do 'apt-get update' I seem
> to get nothing.
>
> So are there really no patches available or am I doing something wrong?
> How do I get it too download and install new packages with apt-get or
> whatever rather then using the CD?

I think you are looking for "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" but you
first have to configure your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file to point to the
right repositories based on your preferences.

http://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

> Is there a FAQ or something out there for users coming from CentOS to
> Debian?

When I migrated from openSUSE I found very useful this "Reference Card"
for a quick start:

http://tangosoft.com/refcard/

(hum... it is not updated, still for lenny)

And of course, the main docs:

http://www.debian.org/doc/index.en.html

Greetings,

--