Re: Debian Questions on apt-get

On Monday 06 June 2011 17:03:36 Matt wrote:
> I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert.
> Giving Debian a whirl now.

Having made a desultary attempt in teh other direction, I feel your pain. :-(

[snip]
> In Centos when I want to update or add a package I do this:
>
> yum update

There is an important and fundamental difference between yum update and
apt-get update.  Yum update, as you say, applies patches.  Apt-get update
just updates the database of packages on your computer.  (I think that yum
simply doesn't do this at all.)  The equivalent of yum update is apt-get
full-upgrade - but you must run apt-get update first, or you won't get
anything new.  That will apply patches.

> yum install package_name
>
> To find a package I also frequently do something like this:
>
> yum list available |grep abr_package_name

apt-cache search or aptitude search.  After updating your database, of
course!!

> To get ssh going I finally did this from console:
>
> apt-get install openssh-server
>
> It demanded I plug the USB CD-ROM back in.  Now I have SSH running and
> can eliminate the keyboard and monitor.
>
> After getting ssh installed I edited /etc/apt/sources.list and
> commented out the CD to get it to quit asking for the USB drive which
> will not remain on the system.
>
> Now on Centos when I do 'yum update' after a fresh install I usually
> get offered a good number of patches etc.  When I do 'apt-get update'
> I seem to get nothing.

See above.

> So are there really no patches available or am I doing something
> wrong?  How do I get it too download and install new packages with
> apt-get or whatever rather then using the CD?

Again, see above!

> Is there a FAQ or something out there for users coming from CentOS to
> Debian?

I couldn't find one in the opposite direction. :-(  I just had to read up
about yum and work out the differences for myself.  I fear that I gave up
rather soon.  Running Fedora was just too much like trying to wade through
treacle.  Especially as the book I had bought from Fedora documentation told
me zilch about the system, but explained in detail how to use OpenOffice.org.

Lisi