hard drive configuration

in the past we've had two partitions:
/
/data
into the latter went home, www, mail and we'd softlink from the
appropriate places. the nice thing about this setup has always been that
when we upgraded or tried a different system there wasn't any data
copying to do.

now we've been experimenting with xfs on which there will be openvs
containers to run the web/mail servers. containers go into /var/lib/vz
and we're thinking of keeping them in a separate partition
too. additionally, we've split things up so there are partitions for
/usr /usr/local /tmp /home and so on.

so i'm musing over whether to have a /data partition as before - it
doesn't seem to make quite the same sense at this stage. however, when
it comes time to change to the next debian, i keep thinking having the
data separate may be an advantage.

do people have favorite partitioning schemes with appropriate
justifications for them?

--
in friendship,
prad