Re: LUKS-partition-failed-to-mount

03/06/2011 17:07, Mervyn Zhang wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi,

 I'm a debian newbie who are previously using archlinux. I've a
> disk with the following layout:
>
> sda1 pri - Windows partition;
> sda3 pri - archlinux /boot
> sda4 pri - archlinux LUKS partition (with lvm in it, the rest
> partitions /, /var, swap and most important /home)
> sda5 logic - debian /boot
> sda6 logic - debian LUKS partition (with lvm in it, where a base
> just-installed system lies)
>
> My two arch partitions remained untouched during the installation of
> debian, and no bootloaders was installed since I've already a grub
> installed in the MBR.
>
> But when I tried to boot my arch again, the crypt hook reported that
>
> "ERROR:Failed to open encryption mapping: The device /dev/sda4 is not
> a LUKS volume and the crypto= parameter was not specified."
>
> So what can I do now to re-access to at least my data? Thank you VERY
> MUCH since I forgot to backup them first....

First you could try to access your luks partitions from a live cd (use
one with cryptsetup on board, or install it on the live-cd):

(as root)

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda4 cryptarch

then you partition will be available on /dev/mapper/cryptarch, you can
create a mount point and try to mount it there:

mkdir /mnt/cryptarch
mount /dev/mapper/cryptarch /mnt/cryptarch

If this doesn't work, try to gather informations on you luks with:

cryptsetup status cryptarch

You can also try to work with UUID rather than devices name, as UUID
will remain stable (see cryptsetup luksUUID).

There is always the possibility that partitions names got mixed-up
during Debian installed, and you overwrite you arch partitions (bad), or
the luks headers got corrupted somehow, equally bad if you never made a
backup of the headers. In both cases your data would be lost (hope it's
just a partition address problem).