Re: pidofproc missing

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Mi, 01 iun 11, 19:32:06, lrhorer wrote:
>> Andrei Popescu wrote:

>> > Please post the output of 'dpkg -l sysvinit-utils'
>>
>> Um, OK.  Why?
>
> Because

Well, I had fixed the issue, so dpkg would inevitably show everything to
be OK.  The first thing I did, before I even posted this thread, was to
check the dpkg status.  That's why I asked.

> $ dpkg -S bin/pidof
> sysvinit-utils: /bin/pidof
>
>> RAID-Server:/etc/init.d# dpkg -l sysvinit-utils
>> Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
>> | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-
>> aWait/Trig-pend
>> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
>> Description
>> +++-==================================-
>> ==================================-

>> ii  sysvinit-utils                     2.88dsf-13.1
>> System-V-like utilities
>
> dpkg thinks the package is ok. Since "loosing" binaries is a bit
> unusual

Yeah, I know, unless someone goes mucking around.  I'm the only user of
the system, and I don't go mucking around.  I don't recall whether I
have ever actually used `pidof` on this system, so it's possible it was
never there.  It might have gotten mangled, somehow, when the system was
installed.

> I would suggest fsck-ing your file systems and running SMART
> tests on your harddisk.

It's not a hard drive.  It's a RAID1 array.  Both member drives report
no SMART errors. Fsck reports the file system clean.

> You do have backups, right?

Of course.  In this case it was much easier to pull the binary from the
sister system, but a full backup of the files on the OS arrays of both
machines are done once a month.  Three generations of the backup are
kept.  Copies of the archives are stored on a local RAID6 array and on
the RAID6 array on the sister system.  The most recent copy is kept on
one of the local RAID1 arrays.  That, plus the two systems are very
nearly mirrors of each other, with only a few small differences.  It
would not be terribly difficult to copy over the entire RAID array from
one system to the other and make changes by hand.  Finally, if push came
to shove, these are pretty plain-vanilla systems, and loading the OS
from scratch wouldn't be the worst thing I have ever had to do.