Re: Until now Debian seems to be the right decision :), better performance than Ubuntu

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 01:15:29 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Yes, thank you very much, your howto needed a little upgrade.
>
> Restore e-mail account settings.
> --------------------------------
>
> - Run Evolution for the first time and create a default e-mail account.
>
> - Close Evolution.
>
> - From terminal execute `ps ux | grep evolution` to see what Evolution
> related processes are runing. Kill all of them.
>
> - Overwrite the content of /home/<useraccount>/.evolution/mail/ folder
> with the content from the corresponding original folder.
>
> For Ubuntu Natty and Debian stable it's not ~/.evolution anymore!
>
> # cp
> -pr /<mount>/home/<useraccount>/.local/share/evolution/mail
> /home/<useraccount>/.local/share/evolution
>
> - From original /home/<useraccount>/.gconf/apps/evolution/mail/%
> gconf.xml file
> copy content of all <li type="string"> *** </li> entries between <entry
> name="accounts" mtime="1305671823" type="list" ltype="string"> and its
> final </entry> tag to the newly
> generated /home/<useraccount>/.gconf/apps/ evolution/mail/%gconf.xml
> file. For best result restart computer before starting Evolution.
>
> If the accountname would differ or one Evolution still does use
> ~/.evolution, than you've got a lot to edit. I run
>
> # cp -p /media/natty/home/spinymouse/.gconf/apps/evolution/mail/%
> gconf.xml /home/spinymouse/.gconf/apps/evolution/mail/%gconf.xml

I'm not sure for Ubuntu Natty, I'll take a look tomorrow. What's to
Debian Squeeze 6.01, it's still ~/.evolution on my system.

> OTOH it should be possible to use 1 partition for the emails and to get
> access by Evolution from different installs, assumed that the mount
> points do have the same path names, but I didn't really verified this
> ;).

I'm going to investigate such an option too. When (or if?) I have time
for it. :-)

> Just doing this all filters get lost, there was a message regarding to
> junk, mails that should not be shown by threads are shown by threads,
> anyway, I got the mails.

Did you mean newsgroup filters? I did not get this trouble since I've
never used Evolution as my newsgroup reader. I use Pan instead.

But I did not loose any of my e-mail filters.

> PS: Sending from the 'new' Evolution.

I'm glad it worked for you. And thanks for sharing back. I'll add your
updates to my records.