Re: Backup script

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 01:01 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2011 12:30 AM, "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:27 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > > Hi :)
> > >
> > > I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs
> on my
> > > machine.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those
> installs?
> > >
> > > With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't
> running,
> > > by the running Linux and than boot another Linux install, to
> backup the
> > > previously running Linux.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Ralf
> >
> > You'll need to establish network communications amon gthe Linux
> > systems, with some tool with enough privileges to copy the data.
> > Excellent freeware tools include Amanda (for tape backup), which
> runs
> > a server on one host and clients on the same host and other hosts
> > typically, and rsnapshot, which is much easier to recover lost files
> > with and pretty much relies on a central server to have enough space
> > to copy the live contents of the other systems.
> I have used Amanda with disks.
> Per using puppet; it just works. I mean, I haven't used it to mess
> with proc and sys but I'm almost certain it'll work for that.
> What I'm recommending is that you take your base system (debian,
> centos, bsd, osx, whatever) and then figure out what configuration
> changes you need and configure puppet likewise. Figure out if there
> are any packages you install that aren't provided by your distro and
> make a repo of those packages locally. Then, if you need to restore,
> you can do as little or as much manual labor as you want, or you can
> sit back and eat some twinkies as your system rebuilds itself.
> Note, I don't have my stuff down to this fine of a science. I just
> know I can with what I use. I also like systems that are pretty
> universal - puppet and Amanda are two such programs.
> That being said, no one needs a complicated life. Just setup a public
> key with ssh for a user with privileges to what you want to backup and
> setup a cron job to rsync your data on your host. And if you want to
> save your mbr + partition table, just dd the first 512 bytes off each
> client and back that up too (just mbr is 448 bytes IIRC).

For the mbrs it's exactly what I did. For the Linux installs a
completely tar.gz is the fastest and easiest solution. Note, my installs
are very small, an archive might reach a max. of 3 GB, if I don't backup
some trash, e.g. a collection of old, unused kernels. For Debian until
now the archive didn't reach even 1GB.
I do believe that for another usage of Linux, a backup could become to
large ;).