Re: How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

On 05/30/11 at 01:03am, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 5/29/2011 6:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > Do I need to download and install pppoeconf + dependencies or is there
> > another way to get a PPPoE connection?
>
> You buy a cheap consumer router, like everyone else does who isn't
> provided one by their ISP.  For instance:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156001
>
> Find something similar there in Germany.  Once you have it up and
> running you'll kick yourself for not doing it long ago.  Saves lots of
> time and prevents headaches such as the one you're currently fighting.

You encourage him to buy something, and discourage him from learning? Where would we be if we all took your advice?
Ralf didn't imply he was incapable of learning or that he was looking for the absolute fastest option. Maybe preface such advice, instead of implying that this sort of lazy response is the best or only one.

Maybe he has an interest in learning, or doesn't want to be behind a NAT, doesn't want to spend money, or likes the options a linux router provides.

--
Liam