Re: does Debian labeled for AMD-64 run on Pentium cpu family 6?

El 2011-05-29 a las 01:07 -0300, tarcisio praciano-pereira escribió:

(resending to the list)

> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe *lm
> > constant_tsc *arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3
> > cx16 xtpr  lahf_lm
>
> The the asterisks (*) are "wrong doings" of the webmail - I have bold faced
> this entry
> and this sometimes turns into asterisks which is the case.

Ah, okay. Then the "lm" flag indicates your processor can run 64-bits
OSes.

> > That "non-sense" are the capabilities of your processor.
>
> It is still is non sense to me, like an asinus would better look to a big
> junk of "green things"
> than to a human wonderful cathedral.... I am easily compared to the asinus
> in this point.

X-)

I also feel like that in many fields (no one knows all). I can "guess"
what the flags are but I have to read the docs to have a fully
understanding of them.

> But Camaleón, tell me plainly, (and I do believe it is true), there is no
> more 32 bits
> processors among those that are noadays being sold and certainly the one I
> have is
> 64 bits processor.

Yes, your processor is 64-bits capable.

But you can still find in the market processors that are only 32-bits,
like some of the Intel's Atom family.

> Well, my questions is - the AMD-labelled Debian
> distribution can be
> safely installed in the machine with this processor?  If yes, I will order
> the set of DVD.s.

Yes, you can. But that does not mean 64-bits is better for your
computer. Don't expect to see any enhancement with a 64-bits OS just
because you install it in your machine.

> Better said "AMD" stands in place of "i386", is it?

I would not say that. Many benchmarks have demonstrated that with low
ram (<4 GiB) a 32-bits OS performs better than a 64-bits one.

So the 64 bits are not better "per se", it can be better in some
scenarios but not all.

> Thanks for your patience and nice exchange of ideas.

You're welcome.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón