Re: USR 5633 Robotics Modem in Debian

On Sat, 28 May 2011 12:57:51 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> But be prepared for the worst, USB modems can be very difficult to
>> support in linux if the manufacturer did not provide the drivers nor
>> specifications. In this regard, old serial modems are much better than
>> USB ones (no drivers needed) ;-(
>
> This is less the case now than it was 5 to 10 years ago. Now there are
> at least two USB modems from different manufacturors that advertise
> linux support in their literature and work using the kernel's ACM
> driver.

Yes, there are a exceptions. Also, some pure softmodems work with
"slmodem" driver.

> TRENDnet TFM-561U
> USRobotics USR5637
>
> (And one that advertises linux support but requires the manufacturer's
> driver, which I did not try as it's unlikely to work on arm.)

Sadly sometimes you are stuck with the modem you already have and cannot
replace it. In a perfect world, one could choose the best modem for his
needs.

> Since there are fewer modem users these days, and the remaining ones are
> probably unlikely to be linux users, the old information about USB
> modems not working in linux lingers where searches can find it. But, a
> targeted search for a particular model before buying can generally tell
> if it will work.

We, at the office, have five of those hardware-based modems (rs-232) and
one Eicon card (isdn, PCI based), we use them for faxing along with
HylaFAX so dial-up modems still have their use. And I would not change
none of those serial modems for a new one featuring USB (I find the
serial port more reliable than USB) :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón