Re: Ncurses for touch screens?

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:35:24AM +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 08:55:36PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> > I was wondering if there was some kind of ncurses application or utility that
> > would let you define simple ASCII buttons and when that button was pressed
> > using gpm or a touchscreen it would run a simple command. I tried searching
> > with apt-cache but nothing showed up; nothing using Google either.
>
> Perhaps not the most simple of solutions, but as you're willing to learn
> some sort of definition language anyway (i.e. where to place buttons,
> what they say, what they do), why not look into coding something in
> perl / python / ruby. They all come with ncurses libraries and aren't
> that hard to pick up.

Thanks for the advice. I did find a used O'Reilly book called Learning
Python. Also, there is something called python-mpd client library in the
Debian repository and I found a program called easympc. Easympc
(http://code.google.com/p/easympc/) is a simple curses client written in
python. Perhaps is can be modified for my needs.

Though, I don't have any experience programming anything. I also found
something called whiptail that might be pressed into service into a simple
mpd client remote using dialog buttons and executing and mpc command.