Re: Building Chromium from source on Debian 6.0.1 Stable

On 05/27/11 at 05:57am, Abhishek Dasgupta wrote:
> On 2011-05-27, William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  On 05/26/11 at 10:57pm, Perry Thompson wrote:
> > > Following my previous question, someone recommended I build Chromium
> > > from source. Is that possible to do on Stable? I tried to do it from
> > > apt-get, but there were still dependency issues. Am I doing it wrong?
> > > Should I be doing it another way?
> > >
> > > If I remember correctly, I tried...
> > >
> > > sudo apt-get source chromium-browser
>
> apt-get source can be run as normal user as well.
>
> > > sudo apt-get build-dep chromium-browser
> >  You should build-dep first.
> [snip]
> > > Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
> >  I missed the original thread, can you link it? Why are you building from so=
> >  urce? Using the debian tools, you'll just end up with an identical copy to =
> >  the binary version already available.
>
> Not really, as he is building on stable, using (I guess) the source
> from sid, which has the latest version.

The command he listed was plain apt-get source, which doesn't imply sid sources.
I guess this is what I get for chiming in without reading all the history.

> There is a new distro, Progress Linux [1], which is essentially squeeze
> + some backports. Their archive has backports [2] of iceweasel, icedove,
> chromium and other common packages. While I have not used the chromium
> packages, I did try iceweasel and icedove and it installed OK on my
> squeeze system. There is also a source repo for the backports, so you
> can see what changes, if any, from the sid version were made to make the

I usually find simply building a debian package from the latest sid source provides a working backport. Package dependencies are determined on build from what's present.
I do NOT recommend installing deb packages from debian derivatives as this sort of thing is troublesome for your dependency system. Using them for reference is a good idea, though.

--
Liam