Re: Building Chromium from source on Debian 6.0.1 Stable

> Following my previous question, someone recommended I build Chromium
> from source. Is that possible to do on Stable? I tried to do it from
> apt-get, but there were still dependency issues. Am I doing it wrong?
> Should I be doing it another way?
>
> If I remember correctly, I tried...
>
> sudo apt-get source chromium-browser
> sudo apt-get build-dep chromium-browser
>
> And before I could compile it using apt-get, it gave me a bunch of
> dependency issues. If you need me to I can reproduce this to show you
> all.
>
> Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you wish to get the latest one, and are thus trying to port
from the unstable source to your stable system.  There are two ways
that the Debian manual describes.  One is the older obsolete way, and
the other is the newer way.  Both work.  I'm more used to the older
way, but I'll describe both.

First, make sure you have the source repository listed and updated in
your sources.list:
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

The older way:

# apt-get build-dep chromium-browser
$ apt-get -b source chromium-browser

note:  if the above step doesn't build the debian files, and lists
other dependencies (IE, some_package version is required, but you
only have a lower version available) then you may be able to
remedy it by obtaining and building that package by source with
the above listed procedure.  If so, it means that you would not have
built the package yet, but you should have downloaded the source
files.  Once you've obtained, built, and installed all the
dependencies, then you can create the package with the following:

$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b

So, you should have the chromium-browser packages (debs).  You can
install them with:

# dpkg -i file.deb

the name of the various debs that will be created are listed at
http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/chromium-browser

The newer method is as follows:

Install required packages for the compilation and download the source
package as the following.
# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade
# apt-get install fakeroot devscripts build-essential
# apt-get build-dep foo
$ apt-get source foo
$ cd foo*
Adjust installed packages if needed.
Execute the following.
$ dch -i
Bump package version, e.g. one appended with "+bp1" in
"debian/changelog" Build packages and install them to the system as the
following.
$ debuild
$ cd ..
# debi foo*.changes

Note:  "foo" is a generic name for the package -- in your case it's
chromium-browser

I wouldn't worry about the dch -i step (it's just a step to renumber
the file, or something.  You don't need to be root to create the debian
files, but you do for installing them (which is why some commands are
preceded with "$" and others with "#", to indicate if it's regular or
root user).  As with the first method, if there are dependencies that
require getting other source packages, then just do the same steps for
those packages, and then try again to build chromium-browser.

Mark