Re: USR 5633 Robotics Modem in Debian

On 05/25/2011 08:17 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2011 07:41:38 -0500, John Hasler wrote:

Camaleón writes:
How can a modem be both "serial" (rs-232) and "internal"

By having a UART on the card and appearing to the computer as a serial
port.  I have several of these in my junkbox (all ISA, though).

:-D

Yep, but that's a "controller-based" modem (a PCI card that has the full
components to achieve the modem task, all done by hardware), they are not
called "serial modems". "Serial", in this case, just refers to the
interface.

Those modems (I also had a couple of them back in the day) *are* serial modems. There just wasn't a DE-9 connector on them.

The cards were "compound devices": on the PCI card was serial port circuitry, a 16550A UART and the actual modem chips.

corrupt."