Re: USR 5633 Robotics Modem in Debian

on 15:32 Tue 24 May, Antonio Cruz (mvcrcc@enet.cu) wrote:
> El 5/24/2011 2:06 PM, Sven Hoexter escribió:
> >On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 02:11:12PM -0500, Antonio Cruz wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm cuban and I'm new here. Recently I bought a USB Modem (USR 5633
> >>Robotics for dial-out),  I'm using Debian Wheezy at home but I don't
> >>know how configure it. I used modemmanager but it doesn't work. If
> >>anybody can help me I will appreciate it.
> >According to a short google search it looks like this is a 'winmodem'
> >which is not supported by Linux.
>
> Hi Sven,
>
> Thanks for your answer. But yes, I know that... but I ask if exist
> any way to use it.... I can't buy other... I read a How-to for
> Motorola winmodems... but I didn't found any for USR. I'm asking if
> anyone knows a way for USR.

The only way you'll be able to use it is to set up a computer running
Windows, allow it to run the modem, and use that as your Internet
gateway.

It. Just. Won't. Work. Under. Linux. Full stop.

Otherwise:  I'd try to swap for cmpatible equipment.

Peace.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power