Re: Squeeze (or higher) on HP DL180 G6

On 05/23/2011 09:33 AM, Jacek Politowski wrote:
I'm going to buy a low-end server with 12 SATA HDDs.

I've received an offer for HP DL180 G6 with interesting price.
Now I'm trying to find out whether this proliant works correctly
with Debian (either squeeze or testing (or even unstable)).

Server has HP P212/ZM and P410/256 controllers (I guess it needs two
controllers to accomodate support 12 HDDs).

I actually don't need any RAID functionality from these controllers
(I'm going to use standard linux md soft-raid anyway).

Does anybody use HP DL180 G6 with Debian here and can confirm that
Debian works correctly on that server?

Unfortunately google wasn't really helpful (at least for "dl180 g6
debian", "p212 debian" and similar phrases).

Hello,

I just installed Squeeze on several HP DL360 G6 servers and it works fine. Each of these servers has the P410i controller with two physical disks configured in a RAID 1 mirror. Debian uses the built-in cciss driver and maps the RAID volume to /dev/cciss/c0d0. If you don't have a RAID volume set up, I would imagine it would map the first physical drive to /dev/cciss/c0d0, the next to /dev/cciss/c0d1, etc.

One quick note, you will need the firmware for the network hardware in these machines. Download this file:

ttp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-bnx2_0.28_all.deb

Put the file on a thumbdrive and plug it into the server right before the installer detects the network hardware. Make sure you unplug it after the network hardware is set up, and before the installer goes on to detect the disks.

Hope this helps.

    - Dave

--

Dave Parker