Re: backports updates

On Monday 23 May 2011 10:18:28 Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Lu, 23 mai 11, 09:37:25, Lisi wrote:
> > I don't dare touch things like pinning and do not recall ever having
> > edited a preferences file for apt.  I'm far too scared of mucking up my
> > system.  I didn't want updated versions either OOo or Firefox that
> > badly!!
> >
> > But, as I have said: where are we going with this and why?
>
> Firstly you mentioned that lenny-backports is priority 200 by default,
> which is inaccurate. Sorry for insisting on such details, but these
> discussions are archived...
>
> Secondly, I'm not aware of any package messing with
> /etc/apt/preferences, which would indicate you put it there and just
> forgot about it. May I suggest installing etckeeper? In it's default
> configuration it will automatically keep a track of all changes in /etc,
> which you can review very easily if you wish with (as root):
>
> # cd /etc
> # git log -u
>
> If you make any changes and don't want to bother committing them
> yourself they will be committed automatically before any package
> install. Committing (recording) changes is not very complicated. Just do
> as root:
>
> # cd /etc
> # git commit -a -m "<note about what I just changed>"
>
> The big benefit of committing yourself (vs. automatic commits) is you
> can easily tell from the commit message what the change was about ;)

I'm afraid that I can't see the importance of this.  I simply know nothing
about pinning and don't pretend to.

Anyhow, you think that I did, I think that I didn't.  This is beginning to
sound like a pantomime!  And, frankly, I don't care about the issue!!
Perhaps if this had started with your saying "you must have changed the
pinning, because the default in all Debians is 100" we could at least have
had a meaningful disagreement!!

Anyhow, would you be agreeable to our agreeing that you think that I did, and
I think that I didn't??

Lisi