Re: Help Installing Debian

Klistvud (klistwud@gmail.com on 2011-05-21 10:04 +0200):
> Dne, 21. 05. 2011 09:40:02 je Camaleón napisal(a):
>
> [snip]
>
> > I have not much experience with GPT partitioning but nowadays with
> > moderns distributions it should not be a problem :-?
>
> Don't know about LVM/RAID setups, but plain old one-disk setups need
> a (tiny) dedicated boot partition if you want GRUB-PC installed.
> There's no place for its boot code in GPT (as it was in the MS-DOS
> partition table).
Exactly. If you want to boot from a GPT-based disk with grub2 (and you
have a BIOS-based system), you need to create a partition for it. The
type is "BIOS Boot Partition" (gdisk type ef02, don't know how other
partitioning software handles it), and it can be as small as 64kB. I
usually use a partition size of 256kB just to be sure.

For a laugh, check out the GUID for the BBP on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_Boot_partition :)

HTH,
Arno