Re: Help Installing Debian

On Sat, 21 May 2011 11:35:42 +0530, Joy wrote:

>              I am using IBM System X 3400 M3 with Raid1 and Raid5.
> Raid1 id being used to have Debian and raid5 for /home partiotion.

Are those raid over a hardware raid controller or you want to create a
software based raid?

> Whenever i am trying to install it after creating a partition when it
> goes to format reboots my system.

You can try to install Debian with the partitions already made and
formatted, using the Gparted LiveCD.

> I have also tried lenny 5.8 which is not detecting my disk at all
> neither showing anything missing.

Better than lenny is squeeze, now the current stable. If lenny was not
detecting your hard disks that can mean that:

1/ Your hard disk controller is very new and the kernel shipped with
lenny did not included the drivers for it.

2/ Your hard disk setup is not recognized by the installer (for instance,
if you are using the BIOS sata raid facility and so you need to use
"dmraid", which I do not recommend at all).

> I have tried RHEL 5.4 which says can not create boot partition because
> og GPT partitioning scheme. I could  only manage to install RHEL 6
> successfully.

I have not much experience with GPT partitioning but nowadays with
moderns distributions it should not be a problem :-?

Debian installer logs messages to console tty4, maybe you can jump into
it at the partitioning stage to have more information about the error.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón