Re: System broken after kernel upgrade - explanation?

On Sun, 22 May 2011 17:43:17 +0200
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2011-05-22 17:34 +0200, Frank McCormick wrote:
>
> >   Same situation here - the problem arose after yesterdays
> > upgrades...which are:
> >

> > [UPGRADE] libgudev-1.0-0 169-1 -> 170-1
> > [UPGRADE] libudev0 169-1 -> 170-1
> > [UPGRADE] net-tools 1.60-23 -> 1.60-24
> > [UPGRADE] udev 169-1 -> 170-1
>
> These packages became available just a few hours ago, so they were
> probably not included in yesterday's upgrade.
>
> > Strange you have udev 169-1..mine was upgraded to 170-1 which
> > created the problem.
>
> I doubt that.  Note that the udev problem only manifests itself in the
> initramfs, and the kernel you have just started might not have the
> latest udev version in its initramfs.

   Sorry...what happened in my case was the new pae kernel was
installed on the 21st...but I did not reboot. Today when I
did, the boot failure happened. So I went back to the old kernel, and
this morning did an upgrade at which point udev 170-1 was installed.
But initramfs was not re-created. So when I tried again to boot into
the pae kernel it again failed. I will rebuild initramfs and we'll
see what happens.

--
-- Frank --