System broken after kernel upgrade - explanation?

I've been using linux-image-2.6.38-2-686 for some time without preblems.

After a dist-upgrade in Sid today I acquired
linux-image-2.6.39-1-686-pae. On booting this I had no connection
(wired) to my router. Also, on starting X (startx) the screen locked up
and I had to do a hard reset.

I reverted to linux-image-2.6.38-2-686, which was working previously,
and the same errors now appeared: no connection to router and lockup in
X.

Luckily, I still had linux-image-2.6.37-2-686 and this runs without
problems.

I can only suppose that some package which was also upgraded today
(there were various libraries) has affected both kernels. I would put in
a bug report but I have no idea where the problem could lie.

Any suggestions?

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk