Re: UUID - autmatically entries?

On 21/05/2011, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2011 11:33:17 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
>> The install program seems to automatically rewrite UUIDs if you
ask it
>> to erase a partition. IMHO, the method for handling disk naming
is still
>> a work in progress. In the meantime, my particular kluge
involves using
>> labels. They are shorter to type and easier to remember.
>
> (...)
>
> I'd say there is no perfect method to manage this.
>
> I still miss the old-plain-intuitive method for designating block
devices
> (hda → first ide, hdb → second ide device, sda → first scsi/sata
device,
> etc...) but we have to cope the new changes because they are vry
much
> needed (nowadays we connect many devices of diverse nature, most
of them
> hot-swappable and they cannot overlap).

I recently performed a manual installation of Debian, bypassing
partman (in order to bypass a severe problem with partman and/or
yaboot that was breaking another OS), and thus configured the fstab
manually. I used devices, just like I always do when editing
fstabs. It works fine. I don't see any reason to change it? What do
UUIDs give me that /dev/hdx or /dev/sdx don't, aside from being
harder to read and a pain to setup?

> In this regard, every user chooses the best method for
identifying hard