Re: CUPS Driver for Epson Stylus NX420 printer?

> Thanks, Roger!  I'm glad to know that there's something in the works.
> I tried the NX415 driver from Debian Squeeze and got a couple of lines
> at the top of a page and lots of blank paper after that.
>
> I googled a bit and came up with a website from openprinting.org that
> had proprietary (and some open) drivers for lots of printers,
> including the NX420 -- as .deb and .rpm, no less!  The one for the
> NX420 was i386 and AMD64 binary-only, no source provided, and the
> machine I wanted to install it on was an ARMel OpenRD "Ultimate".
> Fortunately I had an old Toshiba laptop I'd recently installed Debian
> Squeeze on, so I downloaded the openprinting.org driver and installed
> it there.
>
> It seems to work OK, but if I export the printer via CUPS from the
> Toshiba to the OpenRD and try to use it to print that way from the
> OpenRD, the driver on the Toshiba dies with a segfault.  So it's not
> perfect.
>
> If I replace "lpr" on the OpenRD with a stub that does ssh to the
> Toshiba and runs lpr there, everything seems to be OK.  But it's a
> kludge that should not be necessary if Epson would just release the
> source for their drivers.
>
> Ahhh well...  A perfect world would be *so* boring!
>
> Rick

This is a little off your topic, but I have an Epson (C88) as well, and
wish that CUPS/driver supported ink levels, head cleaning and alignment,
and duplexing (the Epson Windows driver supports this with 2-pass
printing).  Any reason they are not supported?  Just curious.

Thanks,
Dave
--
  dave boland