Re: Adventures multi-booting late 2003 iBook G3 (was: What is this Apple Bootstrap thing of which the installer speaks?)

On Wed, 18 May 2011 17:23:26 +0000 annathemermaid@hush.com wrote:
>On Thu, 05 May 2011 18:14:43 +0000 Roger Leigh
><rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
>>> Now that Debian is up and running, is there documentation
>>somewhere
>>> explaining how to make yaboot offer options to boot OpenBSD
>>and/or
>>> NetBSD?
>>
>>It should be possible, but AFAIK it's currently broken:
>>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=372780
>>
>>Looks like it's simple to fix, but there wasn't anyone who could
>>test it properly.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Roger
>
>I've been having a more serious issue with yaboot: it seems to
>wreck the Mac Os Classic disk drivers so Mac OS 9.2.2 can't boot
>anymore. Instead, it just shows this sort of flashing flopping
>image. Apparently, the usual workaround is to boot into the
>Classic
>install CD and select the Update Drivers function from the Disk
>Setup. Unfortunately, since I have a late 2003 model that barely
>supports booting into Classic, the installation program is only
>capable of running from withing OS X's Classic Mode; it doesn't
>work when booted directly off the CD. The Tiger and Panther
>installation disks only seem to be capable of installing the
>drivers when partitioning the disk from scratch; they don't know
>how to fix the drivers without wiping the disk. So, no Update
>Drivers for me. The problem does not occur if Debian is installed
>without the yaboot Apple_Bootstrap partition, but then, of course,
>there's no way to boot Debian. Creating the Apple_Bootstrap
>partition with OpenBSD's pdisk rather than Debian's mac-fdisk
>doesn't help either, so I think the problem must occur when yaboot
>actually installs itself onto the Apple_Bootstrap partition.
>Wiping
>the disk and installing Mac OS X / Mac OS 9.2.2 from scratch will
>resolve the issue, but then of course it will break again when I
>install Debian again.

I notice that the bug report is rather recent, being filed against
squeeze.

I wonder if it would work properly if wiped the disk, and tried
again, but this time used squeeze with lenny's yaboot.