Re: syncing on Debian Squeeze with pilot-link

On Wed, 18 May 2011 15:29:15 -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:

(...)

> The stuff I did was something along the lines of running the following
> commands:
>
> /sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd
> /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd

This should not be needed unless you don't have the USB kernel modules
already loaded which I doubt.

> /bin/mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1
> /bin/chmod 0666 /dev/ttyUSB?

And this is also not required anymore with udev which dinamically creates
the links to the devices and sets its perms.

Where did you get that instructions? :-?

> I'm not sure exactly if this is what I did to get it to sync the one
> time, but those commands are from the README.usb file of the Debian
> package pilot-link, which I used.

Ah, from the "README.usb"... well, those are usually "generic"
instructions not aimed to any specific distribution or installation
method so you better read the "README.Debian" files if present.

> It doesn't work now, and I'd hate to have to keep entering some
> variation of the above commands each time.

He, he... Linux users are "condemned" to read manuals for the rest of our
life on a per-day basis >:-)

> There is another file, called README.Debian, that presumably tells
> users how to set it up to work once and for all. The problem is I don't
> really understand what this README.Debian file is instructing.  Some of
> what the README.Debian file says is:

This readme file is the good one. Let's see...

> /dev/pilot is no more used by pilot-link. You shall indicate the port to
> use either with --port <port> or by the environment variable $PILOTPORT.
>
> I haven't a clue what they're talking about here. Where is this
> "environment variable $PILOTPORT"?  Does anyone know how to set this up?
>
> All answers appreciated.

Hum... is not very clear what is referring to nor how to achieve that
goal (when launching jpilot, when launching pilot-link, or...?) >:-?

Environment variables can be set in many ways:

http://wiki.debian.org/EnvironmentVariables

But before going nuts, what does "dmesg" says when you plug the device?
Is it even recognized? And then, when you launch Jpilot, what is telling
you? Can you launch it in console?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón