Re: unique identifiers for cdrom drives

On 05/17/2011 12:17 AM, Paul E Condon wrote:
On 20110516_120833, Camaleón wrote:
[snip]

How does your "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules" look like?

There are too many entries in it. More entries than I have ever had distinct
cdrom drives installed. I think these spurious entries maybe part of the
problem.

Probably accumulated cruft. How long/many versions since your last fresh install? (Parson if you already answered that...)

You can delete the stuff that's obviously now-useless (though of course save a copy first), reboot and see what happens.

Camaleón is right that the the answer lays in udev rules.

        OTOH, the initial problem of the two drives swapping identities
has gone away without my having done anything, at least nothing intentional.
I had always been using what happens to cdrom trays when I issue eject
commands with various device and/or mount-point strings.

Eh?  Grammar confusion.

[snip]
the 'safe demount' icon is clicked. Some of my USB hard disks are
Western Digital models that have 'Virtual CDroms' installed on the disk.
I think these may be a source of clutter in 70-persistent-cd.rules.

That's an interesting likelihood.

corrupt."