Re: unique identifiers for cdrom drives

On 20110514_160848, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2011 09:58:27 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > My Squeeze installs on machines that have two cdrom drives seem to boot
> > sometimes with the upper drive as /media/cdrom0 and lower drive as
> > /media/cdrom2, and other times with the identities reversed. I'm sure
> > there must be a way to fix on one assignment and keep with it, but how?
> >
> > There is nothing about cdrom drives in /etc/fstab. I suppose that
> > something added there will fix the problem, but what?
>
> I'm sure you already know the answer... udev? :-)
>
> > I've googled and see reference to vol_id, but I don't have vol_id, and
> > can't find it, or even a man page.
>
> There is a file located at "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules" that
> can be manually edited to make static names for the optical devices (or
> so it seems), maybe you can do something there.

Thanks.
I'm reading

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch01.en.html#_device_files
and
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#about

looking for how to write a rule that meets my needs. But I have a
problem understanding. I don't see anything in udev rules that allows
me to control the mount point of a device, i.e. what connects the
symlink /dev/cdrom, with the mountpoint /media/cdromX ? Udev rules
seem to be concerned only with what appears in /dev/ .

What am I missing? Is there a fixed, invariant mapping that just always
happens?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net