Re: Fwd: Re: [OT] Re: Defending yourself

On 2011-05-11 17:35:20 Freeman wrote:
>On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 08:30:49PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> >
>> > What you say is untrue. The code of conduct clearly states the
>> > following:

>> > "Do not quote messages that were sent to you by other people in private
>> > mail, unless agreed beforehand."
>>
>> IMHO, that rule lacks the following preface: "Should a user states his/
>> her desire to keep a private conversation..."
>
>+1

-1

>Unless the user states that it is a private email, or it is obviously
>discrete, the most expeditious thing is to forward it to the list.

It's nearly impossible to infer whether the sender meant the message to be
private or not.  Making the reply public and cause significant and
irreversible damage.  Whereas, keeping the reply private causes, at most,
temporary and reversible damage.

Replies to private messages should be kept private.  It is easy enough to
prompt the sender to use the list for future correspondence and simultaneously
give you permissions for your private message to be quoted in a public forum.