Re: Fwd: Re: [OT] Re: Defending yourself

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 08:30:49PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2011 11:55:48 -0700, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
>
> > Lisi wrote:
> >> It is list policy not to send private replies to list mail.  And I
> >> thought that it was rude of you to email me privately, not to mention
> >> unpleasant.
> >
> > What you say is untrue. The code of conduct clearly states the
> > following:

> > "Do not quote messages that were sent to you by other people in private
> > mail, unless agreed beforehand."
>
> IMHO, that rule lacks the following preface: "Should a user states his/
> her desire to keep a private conversation..."

+1

Unless the user states that it is a private email, or it is obviously
discrete, the most expeditious thing is to forward it to the list.

> > I did not agree beforehand for you to quote my message.
>
> As a rule of thumb I always *reply* to the list and *resend* to the list
> all the messages I receive, unless:
>
> 1/ I know beforehand the person is replying me and can easily see the
> user wants to go private.
>
> 2/ The own nature of the message (i.e., it contains sensitive data).
>
> 3/ The user that replies to me *explicitly* states that he/she wants to
> keep an off-list conversation.
>
> > It would be kind of you to apologise.

I don't see the point. Given the choice of either assuming you simply
misaddressed or assuming you didn't bother reading list policy, why assume
the latter?  The former seems more respectful.

> I hope you also did so when you sent the message to Lisi...
>
> > It is generally considered bad
> > nettiquette to send private emails to a mailing list and this list does
> > not appear to be an exception.
>
> No, it's the opposite.

It is also nettiquette to read list policy.

> > In addition when replying the person's private email is copied in the
> > "To:" not the list's address. In my experience this generally means a
> > conscious decision was made to encourage replies to go to the individual
> > instead of the list.
>
> Sadly, that's not true at all.
>
> There are plenty of "broken" webmail services (i.e., Gmail) that by
> default reply to the user's e-mail address instead to the e-mail address
> of the mailing list and the user is not aware of this fact.

ergo the Mail-Followup-To: header.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody