Re: SATA Harddisk order in debian squeeze

Am 10.05.2011 12:20, schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
> On 5/10/2011 3:45 AM, Markus Neviadomski wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>
> Good lord man fix your MUA's formatting.  I've had to pull 3 pairs of
> scissors out to replay to this...

Oh, sorry. But, some other kind of people only write one sentence
without any information and ask for help...

>> running 3 SATA-drives in Raid 5 for a couple of years. I used kernel
>> 2.6.23 since,  3 or 4 months ago, CF-Card, mounted as /dev/hda.
>> dist-upgrade to lenny with kernel 2.6.32. All was running fine, but
>>  cf-card was mounted as /dev/sda!
>
> You don't read release notes and such.  You should get in that habit.
> Libata, the cause of your problem, has been in the kernel for a long
> time.  Debian is late to the table, as usual, so you're just now seeing
> it.  The answer is using drive UUIDs with mdadm[.conf] instead of the
> old /dev/YdX device naming convention.  See:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-875903-start-0.html

You are right, i didnt read every release note. If i would do that, i
will get my money only for reading text files. Libata may be responsible
for the different device identifier, but i found no example to use the
drive uuids in mdadm-conf.

Its annoying, that the cfcard is sometimes sda und sometimes sde. This
should be fixed!

This is my mdadm.conf, using a UUID since a long time.
saturn:/home/domski# cat /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
DEVICE partitions
ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid5 num-devices=3 spares=1
UUID=4105560e:bf03b97e:ba419cbc:b7000e73
MAILADDR root

I didnt see any advantage to the syntax from your link, because i have
the uuid instead of device names. I would try mdadm.conf with the output
of mdadm --detail --scan like this:
ARRAY /dev/md0 metadata=0.90 spares=1
UUID=4105560e:bf03b97e:ba419cbc:b7000e73

Regards,
Markus