Re: How to install using apt-get from local .deb files without Internet OR how to bypass sudo apt-get update

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 10:31:14PM +0530, Narendra Sisodiya wrote:

Hey there,

(...)

> To install vim-gtk, I am first downloading all deb package (and not
> installing it.)
>
> mkdir -p vim-gtk
> mkdir -p vim-gtk/partial
> sudo apt-get -y -o dir::cache::archives=./vim-gtk install --download-only vim-gtk
> sudo rm vim-gtk/lock
>
> Now I am copying this folder and another system which do not have Internet..
>
> so on system 2, I am running following commands..
>
> cd /media/usbdrive/vim-gtk
> sudo apt-get -y -o dir::cache::archives=/media/usbdrive/vim-gtk install
> vim-gtk

Try

  dpkg -i /media/usbdrive/vim-gtk/packagename.deb

You may also be interested in gdebi-core which "lets you install local
deb packages resolving and installing its dependencies. apt does the
same, but only for remote (http, ftp) located packages" (from the
package description).

Did that work?

--
Sincerely,