Re: Does "apt-get dist-upgrade" upgrade the kernel?

On Sun, 08 May 2011 13:02:18 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> On 20110508_095510, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> > Whether one of these packages is installed by default depends on how
>> > you installed that particular machine (example: it might not be
>> > installed in expert mode since AFAIR you get a specific question
>> > about which kernel package to install).
>>
>> I always use the expert installer so that can be the reason I didn't
>> have the meta-package installed by default.
>

> I always use the expert installer and I always have the meta-package
> installed, Expert mode, for me, always presents a screen for selection
> of a kernel package with the meta-package highlighted.

Thanks for pointing this, I'll check out the next time I make an
install :-)

This installation was done over 6 (or more) months ago using a squeeze
weekly snapshot so maybe something has changed since that. I say this
because I've also noticed that in all of the systems where I have lenny
installed there is no kernel meta-package at all, just the kernel package
itself :-?

> But I also always use aptitude, and I'm not yet convinced that aptitude
> and apt-get always do the same thing.

In this case both tools were showing consistent results.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón