Re: Nouveau Experiments (was: Re: grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/root')

In <[🔎] 201105081801.00768.bss@iguanasuicide.net>, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>I'm off to experiment some more and see if I can get accelerated nouveau
>working on something.  I guess even the testing/Sid kernels are worth
>another  attempt.  I won't have the nvidia kernel module tainting the
>kernel so which will be an advantage for debugging even if the crash still
>occurs.

2.6.32 still fails when using the mesa version that has nouveau acceleration.
Still something DRM/DRI related.  Quite unfortunate.

2.6.38 (Sid) kernel panics due to an MCE thrown from somewhere in the nouveau
kernel module after switching to the framebuffer.  This is before I can get a
console, so it's pretty hard to capture the associated trace; I may be able to
get a USB-to-Serial and a Null-Modem cable this week in order to capture the
requisite information for a bug report.

2.6.38 (Backports), 2.6.39-rc5 (experimental), and 2.6.39-rc6 (experimental)
also exhibit the same behavior as 2.6.38 (Sid), although the backtrace is
slightly different as far as I can tell.

So, at least on my hardware, if you want to use nouveau, you have to forgo any
type of acceleration AND you must use the kernel from stable.  For me, this
likely means switching back to the NVidia driver eventually.  First, I'd like
to get these bugs filed.  Even after that, I will likely hold out until
there's a new linux-kbuild package in Sid; at that point I will want to test
out btrfs on the new kernel.