Nouveau Experiments (was: Re: grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/root')

In <[🔎] 201105081209.28976.bss@iguanasuicide.net>, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>In <[🔎] 20110508080807.GC7081@think.nuvreauspam>, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>And nouveau?
>
>I'll give Nouveau a chance sometime this week.

It's definitely got some rough edges.  AIXGL is disabled in the Squeeze
version because the experimental mesa library is only in testing/Sid.  So,
desktop effects are slow or not present at all.  The it's-not-a-benchmark
glxgears benchmark gives a horrible 17 FPS on my large monitor.

Trying to use the testing/Sid version of mesa resulted in a broken X for me.
Seems to be some DRM interface incompatibility with the Squeeze kernel, I
think.  I will try this again eventually, but my current solution was to risk
a downgrade of about a dozen packages.

Testing/Sid kernels are broken for me as btrfs dies on both those kernels (see
earlier in thread for bug numbers).  So, I can't really test acceleration
there.  If it is a DRM incompatibility, I won't be able to get acceleration on
the Squeeze kernel.  That basically leaves the -rc5 kernel from experimental,
and I'm just not sure about using an -rc on my daily use machine.

BTW, anyone know how to request that the non-X virtual terminals not use the
framebuffer?  It looks quite weird with my setup, so I'd prefer text mode VTs
for the most part.

I'll stick with Nouveau for now, but there are definitely going to be use
cases for me that require going back to the proprietary NVidia module.  (E.g.
StarCraft II against my roommate.)  It's rather unfortunate that they don't
play together well in kernel space -- switching between them tends to involve
fiddling with /etc/modprobe.d and rebuilding my initramfs(es). :(

I really should just find a cheap AMD/ATI card that is well supported by Free
Software.

I'm off to experiment some more and see if I can get accelerated nouveau
working on something.  I guess even the testing/Sid kernels are worth another
attempt.  I won't have the nvidia kernel module tainting the kernel so which
will be an advantage for debugging even if the crash still occurs.